What is the difference between College essays and Statement of Purpose?
The main difference between College Essays and Statement of Purpose is that the topic covered in the college essays is broader than the topic covered in the statement of purpose. The topic in the statement of purpose is about you and your future plan, while the topic in college essays can be about you, about your interest in certain things (e.g. politic, science, medical, etc), about your academic program, etc.
Normally the college essay is required for under graduate admissions while the statement of purpose is required for graduate and PhD admissions.
What topics should I choose for writing a College Essay / Statement of Purpose?
The college / university will normally provide you the topic for the college essay. The topic can be "tell us about yourself" or "the reason you are choosing this college / university" or it can also be a free topic regarding politics, business, or science, depending on your field of study. The type of essay can be narrative, descriptive, argumentative, or persuasive.
Statement of Purpose (SOP) is a descriptive essay that provides information about you, your educational and professional background, and the reason why you believe that you deserve the admission.
Where can I get sample College Essay / Statement of Purpose?
There are many sample college essay / statement of purpose available on the internet.
Below are some sample college essays:
Sample College Essays #1 (Source: essayedge.com, 2007)
Sample College Essays #2 (Source: vault.com, 2007)
Sample College Essays #3 (Source: quintcareers.com, 2007)
Sample College Essays #4 (Source: collegeboard.com, 2007)
Below are some sample Statement of Purposes:
Sample Statement of Purpose #1 (Source: statementofpurpose.com, 2007)
Sample Statement of Purpose #2 (Source: essayedge.com, 2007)
Sample Statement of Purpose #3 (Source: accepted.com, 2007)
How long is the proper College Essay / Statement of Purpose?
Unless specified, the College Essay / Statement of Purpose should be about one to two pages long.
Do you have any tips on writing a College Essay / Statement of Purpose?
Below are some tips for writing a College Essay / Statement of Purpose:
- There are many samples of college admission essay / statement of purpose on the internet. Read a couple of them to get an idea of what a good Essay / SOP may look like. Some examples are listed above.
- If your topic is "tell me about yourself", don’t forget to mention your important educational and professional experience, but remember not all experiences are worth enough to be mentioned on your essay.
- If you are given a free topic, try to choose one that is relevant with the program in which you want to enroll.
- Check your spelling and make sure that you use proper grammar. Use the Microsoft Word spell check and grammar check programs.
- Ask somebody else that is more experienced than you to proof read your Essay / SOP.