Cost of Education in the USA

Education in the US is costly! But, if you are a good student, chances are better that you will be able to get scholarships to fund your education.

Nevertheless, you have to be prepared to fund your entire education in case you do not get scholarship(s). You will have to budget your funds accordingly.

In this section we have tried to give you an idea about the fund required for studying in the US.

Basic Info

Funds required before coming to the US

Funds required while you are in the US

Funds for special occasions


What is an Out-of-State tuition?

Related Links

  Cost of Education
  Financing Your Education
  Student Loans
  Working while Studying
  Scholarship Tips


Basic Info

The budget varies depending on various factors such as the program that you enroll in (undergraduate / master / doctorate), the university that you choose, the city that host the university, and obviously your standard of living.

While applying to US universities / colleges you should be able to show that you have enough money to finance your education in the US. Please refer our Declaration of Finance section for more details.


Estimate of funds required before coming to the US ($500 - $2000)

  • Application fees: $100 - $300 (applying to 4 colleges/universities; $25 - $75 for each colleges/universities)

  • Entrance exam fees: $150 - $400 (depending on the type of exam required for you, i.e., only TOEFL, both TOEFL and SAT or both TOEFL and GMAT, etc)

  • Visa application fees and SEVIS Receipt: $ 200

  • Traveling to the US: $100 - $1000 (one way) it varies depending on your country of origin, it could be as close as Mexico or Canada, and as far as Australia.


Estimate of funds required in the US – yearly ($12,000 - $45,000)

  • Tuition: $5,000 - $25,000 above (refer Out-of-State tuition)

  • Book and school supplies: $500 - $1,500

  • Housing: $2,400 - $8,000

  • Food: $2400 - $6000

  • Transportation: $300 - $700

  • Insurance: $600 - $ 2,000 (from only health insurance to both health and auto insurance)

  • Clothing: $300 - $600

  • Entertainment: $500 - $1200


Funds for Special Occasions

  • Buying electronic things such as computer, DVD player, etc: $500 - $2000,

  • Buying a car: $1500 - $20,000, visit our cars section

  • Travel within the US: varies depending on the destination, visit travel section


What is an Out-of-State tuition?

In the US, if you are a resident of the same state as where the university exists, you are eligible for a state resident tuition. Otherwise you will have to pay an out-of-state tuition. You are considered a resident of a particular state if you reside (physically live) in that state for a certain period of time (normally 1 or 2 years) prior to applying for admission.

Since you are an international student, most likely you will have to pay an out-of state tuition, which is always more costly than the state resident tuition. However, if you can proof that you have already resided in a particular state where your college / university exist, for the period of time required, you can file a petition for a state resident tuition.

In addition to the tuition, usually the school will charge you supplemental fee such as: library fee, technology fee, or course related fee, which is not included in your regular tuition.


      © 2006 - 2010    Any unauthorised reproduction in any form without prior written permission is strictly prohibited.